Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Knicks Talk Premature



Being a Suns fan, I always watch the Knicks out of the corner of my eye. I'm curious to see what D'Antoni can do without Nash and I'm also curious to see how Amare does without his point guard and with a new contract. The Knicks have been winning as of late and fans clamoring for success and media outlets that reside predominantly on the East coast are stating that the team is much improved. I guess it would not take much to improve over previous seasons but I have a hard time swallowing all the talks about Felton being a revelation and that Stoudemire is going to lead the Knicks to high seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs. I think this is all smoke and mirrors and by the end of the season, you will hear more trash talk than praise when the Knicks get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. I know Knicks fans are probably thinking, "The playoffs would be great!". You, Knicks fans, deserve better.

The first thing to take into consideration is Raymond Felton. Not surprinsingly, his stats have gotten a bit of a boost in the Knicks system. For his career, he averages 13.6 ppg and 6.6 apg. This season, he is averaging 18.1 ppg and 8.5 apg. I expect improvement in a more free-flowing offense but can you really rely upon somebody that could not get consistent burn in the Bobcats organization? Players can always improve as well but do you honestly believe that a career .413% shooter from the field is going to keep this up? I expect a better season as I noted just due to the system and some of his targets but it is still early and I expect the law of averages to come around again.

Speaking of the law of averages, let's talk about Amare. His averages look about the same as they usually do. He seems to be shooting the 3 a bit more and his turnovers and scoring are up with more of a focal role. He will always be a Sportscenter star. He is the type of guy that is you exclusively watch Sportscenter, he is one of the best players in the league. When you truly watch him, as I have his entire career, you know better. His stats are hollow and he will never rebound efficently and he will also never stop anybody on defense. Is it really a shock that Kevin Love grabbed 30 boards and it was on Stat? Bill Simmons always jokes that the Knicks will have odd stats like this put up on them all season due to their lack of size and defense. You can almost solely point that at Amare. He will make excuses for not ever being taught D or say that he will step his intensity up on D but these are his staple statements. Expect many points and highlight dunks but not the overall game that a 100 million dollar player needs Knicks fans. I know you are smart enough to know this and I'm sorry you have to yell at him for knucklehead plays over the next five-years.

The other thing to look at is schedule. Who have the Knicks beat that was relevant? They beat a Hornets team that is coming back to Earth and Sacramento, Golden State, the Clip Show, the Bobcats twice, Detroit, Jersey and the T-Wolves over this current winning streak. I know that good teams should beat teams like this but outside of beating Chicago sans Boozer, I can't point to one meaningful win all season. This upcoming stretch starting with Denver on the 12th should be very telling. I will eat crow if they beat up on the Nuggets, Celtics and Heat but I highly doubt it. I see them moving up in the power rankings on ESPN and I know this will shift dramatically in a few weeks when they feasibly only win three more games in December. Time will tell of course but a team relying on a star power forward that doesn't play D or rebound, a back-up point guard on most teams, a rookie that is shockingly playing out of his mind and a short bench that D'Antoni always goes to and wears his player out with, then I think that time will not be too kind.

P.S. For those of you wondering about Anthony Randolph, here is a word to the wise. Coach Mike doesn't develop young players well. He would rather play vets and let them succeed and bench young players and not give them any burn. I'm really surprised that Fields is getting any time at all. That is probably out of need more than anything being that he can rebound and this team needs every one they can get. The Suns young players like Dudley, Dragic and Lopez did not excel until he was gone and Gentry came in. Randolph will be a waste until he goes somewhere that gives him the time and confidence to succeed.

No comments: