Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Popularity Contest



I feel that I'm seeing a lot of discussions centered on the NBA All-Star game recently. Every year, I gripe personally or rather loudly about who gets in and who doesn't. I understand that there are a limited amount of roster spots but the game should be a true reflection of the best players currently in the NBA. I know I don't want to see a broken down T-Mac or AI just because the fans still remember them from when. I also do not want to see a player voted in just because his country has an overwhelming amount of people supporting them IE Yao Ming. Don't get me wrong, I like that people can vote but it seems that people are voting predominantly based on recollection or limited knowledge rather than the truth. If a guy is busting his butt and destroying the competition, he should be in, regardless of his country of origin or the record of his current team. One player can make a tremendous difference to a franchise but you cannot punish them for the lack of overall talent around them or due to how green their supporting cast may be. Looking around the league, a few guys come to mind that deserve to be recognized and should get some burn in the All-Star game. Maybe the game isn't significant any longer but with the right people involved, it may start to evolve into the competitive clash that the game once was. Without further ado, here are some players that deserve your votes and their teams record simply should not matter.



I know the T-Wolves are 8-24 and stink it up on most nights but Kevin Love has blossomed into a bona fide stud. He doesn't captivate you above the rim or in transition but he gets it done the old school way. He fights and scratches and sees the game in a very cerebral way. He is a living example of a player that wasn't overtly blessed athletically but compensates with basketball IQ. He might not make you jump out of your seat or show up in the Top Ten plays on Sportscenter but his 15.5 boards per game are all the justification you need. Give Love some love!!



I used to hate on Monta all the time. I'm not too proud to admit that. I grew up on Steve Nash and John Stockton and I appreciate selfless players. Monta would just freeze everybody out in the past and only look for his. This year though, I feel that he is letting the game come to him. We all know his first step may be the quickest in the league and that he can score at will. The thing that impresses me is his increase in field goal percentages, assists and also the decline of his turnovers. He is finally understanding the game and that is a scary thought for the opposition. Yes, I know the Warriors are pretty bad but don't punish one of the most exciting players in the league because of this.



Hoss should be in the All-Star game. He is the very reason a game like this even exists. Also, I did just call Blake Hoss. I created that nickname and I am sticking to it. I haven't seen a combination of this reckless, powerful and graceful abandon since pre-microfracture Amare. The real difference is that Blake is not simply a dunker. He works his butt off and boards like a mad man and actually hands out quite a few assists. I know he is young, is not an elite defender and can't make a free throw to save his life but he should be in the game. This kid is the future if he stays healthy and I know I will be watching every second of it. Giddy up!

No comments: