Thursday, May 17, 2007

Commissioner for a Day

All of this talk about rules and suspensions and then listening to David Stern made me realize that the NBA needs a change. While the league is making money annually, many fans are still being turned off by many things. If I were somehow handed the reigns for one day, how would I handle this? I've thought about this long and hard and here are my thoughts.

1) Clean Up the Officiating

While the NBA can continue to say they have the best officials in the world, we as fans know that is not correct. While we may have a bias towards our team, anybody that watches the games consistently will tell you that the only thing that is consistent about officiating in today's NBA is the inconsistency. It may be drastic but the NBA should rid itself of all the officials that have been working for an extended period of time. They are jaded by the game and the money and new blood needs to be implemented. I say look to the NBDL, College and Europe for officials. I tell them to call the game down the middle and to not think about how famous a certain player is. Also, I understand the playoffs are more intense so they should let them play but anything that is over the line means automatic ejection, (cough,cough, Bruce Bowen). Here are some other rules within the game that I would change:

A) Flopping should be an offense. We don't want the league to go all futbol on us. I say if you flop once, you get a warning. If you do it again, it is a technical and the other team gets a foul shot.

B) A travel is a travel. I understand you can't call them all but it would be nice to see the league not allow players to dance all over the floor. These guys have been playing forever and should understand that three or four steps or picking up your pivot foot is not allowed.

C) The bench fight rule should still remain but it should be clarified. If players leave the bench and touch anyone or get in anyone's face, they are suspended one game. As coach Mike and Bill Simmons stated, it is human nature to want to be there for your friends and teammates.

D) Complaining should be allowed to a point. It is fine to be emotional but not after every call that goes against you. Also, superstars should not be devoid of T's just due to their status.

2) Hire all new Advertising and PR people for the league. While the league continues to pump out video of the game in the 50's accompanied by music from 1985, it just makes me feel they have no idea who their demographic is. The league is full of young and hip people that should be put to the forefront of everything. Allow their personalities to shine and allow them to wear what they want on the sidelines. Highlight them in commercials and create new video packages with modern players and updated music. We should never forget our past but we need to highlight what is good about the present and future as well.

3) Change the arena environment. I'm fine with the big introductions but I'm tired of the dancers and the music being played during the game. I want to hear the crowd "ooo" and "ahh" and I want to hear them boo the enemy and cheer on the home team. You go to a game to let loose and scream, not to be told when to cheer and to have to yell over Guns N Roses.

This is all I can think of right now that really bothers me about the game. I love basketball but I feel that the NBA allows politics and money to get in front of the essence of the game. It's time to get the corrupt feel out of everything and to allow the fans to really know the players and have a more enjoyable game experience.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well spoken. I would put calling traveling/carrying/palming #1. It is AGAINST the rules! This should not be a question! I don't get how you clearly state the rules of the game but don't enforce/call them!? #2, start calling illegal screens! (see above) #3 I would switch to a 64 game season with never any back-to-back games. A season that begins and ends from october through may is perfect. #4 switch to the trapezoid lane and international 3 point line. would be great for the game, creating more space and excitement.

Aaron said...

First of all, thanks for the praise.

I think they do a fair job with illegal screens but what ends up happening with those most of the time goes back to my comment about flopping.

I do like the idea of a shorter season. It does start to drag a bit and I think each game would be more exciting for the fans and the players would be fresher come playoff time.

With players being as big as they are in the NBA, I don't know if having a shorter three point line and a wider lane would help spacing. To me, that would just make things congested. But, I think one international rule that should come into play is being able to tip a ball while it is on the rim when you are offense.

Anonymous said...

while the traveling issue isn't perfect, i will say that this season seems to have brought about many, many more traveling calls. i remember watching last year and i could watch three or four games without seeing one traveling call. no longer is this the case, now you see two to three calls per game. i know it's not the promised land yet, but we can at least see it from here.

also, getting the veteren referees out of the game is only a partially good idea. because some of these older guys are flat out the best at what they do, it would be foolish and disrespectful to let them go right now...where will they go? this is their life and they're darn good at it. the dick bavettas (and the like) of the league deserve to be respected by their employer, not tossed away like the nba just met a much younger, prettier bunch of officials.

having said that, i agree with many of the necessary improvements.

Aaron said...

I will agree that some travels are being called. I also understand they can't call all of them because people wouldn't stick around for a seven hour game. But, I just want some consistency with the calls more than anything.

As for the refs, I agree with what you are saying. There are some officials that could stick around but it would be a select few. I'm just tired of the politics of the game and the last thing I would want is them getting into the ears of upcoming officials.

Great feedback and thanks for the post!