Saturday, May 19, 2007

Joakim Noah Under the Spotlight




While I will have some interest in the remainder of the postseason, I would be lying if I said that it was still very interesting considering the fact that the Suns have been eliminated. The horror!!

I'm better now...

Well, my mind has drifted off to draft land once again and if lady luck is with the Suns, they can land an upper tier lottery pick. Then again, the Hawks could end up with a top three pick and the Suns disappointment will just keep on rolling. Besides my pessimism, I've been trying to figure out the best fit for the Suns. I've looked at everyone from Yi Jianlian to Corey Brewer. One thing keeps coming up in studying the draft that somewhat irks me is the consensus on Joakim Noah right now.

By all accounts, had Joakim Noah declared last year for the draft, he would have been the first pick. He was the MVP of the tournament last year and scouts were declaring him either a taller Andrei Kirilenko, Tyson Chandler with a higher bball IQ or Marcus Camby with better distribution skills. Defying all logic at the time, Joakim returned to school to take another run at history. While he did the admirable thing, of course all this brought upon himself was a much brighter spotlight.

All scouts have pointed out is his lack of a jumpshot, his narrow shoulders that don't look like they could hold much more weight, his lack of a post game, etc. Where they see a lack of growth, they are not seeing what they have loved about him all along. He plays with incredible fire and is a vocal leader. He attacks the glass, runs the floor like a deer,plays great defense, handles the ball well and can distribute. His game will expand more and more once he gets out of the Florida system. He was lucky enough to play with some amazing talents but now his game can flourish and expand. Chad Ford and Jonathon Givony have reported how hard he is working out in California right now and the weight and jumpshot shouldn't be far behind with his fire.

My main point of contention with this is that he is being, and I am copyrighting this term, Leinarted. This also may have to become Quinned. Matt Leinart was passed on by team after team after he returned to USC for his senior year. Suddenly he was too slow and his arm wasn't strong enough. Teams like Oakland passed on him even though they needed a quarterback. Yes I know this is a football analogy but it is what comes to mind. All I am saying is that teams are overthinking everything with Joakim right now. How often do athletic seven footers that play their ass off every night come along? To top it off he is a leader and has a lot of charisma. I, for one, would love the Suns to get him and I think that any team that gets him will be lucky to have him.

No comments: