Monday, November 10, 2008

ROY???



No disrespect intended here but I didn't think OJ Mayo would produce like this, this quickly. I've gotten so caught up in the rightful hype of Derrick Rose and Mike Beasley that I drifted away from OJ. I have followed OJ closely for years as the child prodigy from West Virginia that was playing varsity ball as an 8th grader. I think after hearing about questionable attitude issues, switching schools and then going to LA, I thought he had gotten too big for himself.

Then stories started leaking out about his work ethic at USC being exceptional and the same thing was echoed during workouts and by coach Mike in Memphis currently. His numbers are backing up the hype as well. The last three games, he's put up 28, 20 and 31 points. I understand that they were playing teams like Golden State and Sac Town but those are impressive numbers nonetheless. It's an early season but he's averaging 19 on the season and shooting a respectable 44%. At the end of the year, he may not win ROY but he should be in consideration and I wouldn't be shocked at all if he keeps putting up numbers like he is. He'll get plenty of time on a bad Memphis team to showcase his all around game.

-Aaron

No comments: